Important!! Changes to Mercenaries Feb 27, 2016 9:33:48 GMT -8
Post by Amairgen on Feb 27, 2016 9:33:48 GMT -8
This thread is open to all for discussion/input purposes prior to any change being implemented. I hope and trust that all comments will be constructive and that the thread will not evolve into a rant. Reference to Mercenaries includes both the Undead and the Normal ones.
Preamble - the problem:
1) In a nutshell the blame/responsibility for changes being necessary to Mercenaries is mine alone. Trust me - no one hates a 'nerf' more than I do. The scripts used for the Mercenary creatures were inherited and not my creation. They appeared to work fine but I did not recognize the manner in which they could be used or the unfairness of making such creatures available to characters with zero skill investment required (i.e. compared to Tamers or Ninjas). They are obviously fine as is on other shards who do not care as much about such things.
2) Mercenaries are stronger than fully developed player characters. They rival the very strongest pets that Tamers can find. Players have found ways for Mercenaries to 'insta' heal themselves making them almost unbeatable. Combining that with the fact that two Mercenaries can be used at the same time along with their master makes for an massively over powered combination that was never intended. Soloing Champs and killing Dark Fathers is fine and admirable under normal circumstances but sitting with two almost invulnerable Mercenaries waiting to kill Dark Fathers over and over for the loot is not working for the shard.
3) We have lost some veteran players who have used the Mercenaries to the point of boredom as the challenge to them is gone.
4) Overall the existing Mercenaries are contributing to an unbalance in the economy and the play style choices players would otherwise make for themselves.
Solution - as I see it:
I have spent many hours scripting and testing various changes on the Test Server looking for the right combination. I have found what I think will work but I am human (honest) and can miss things as much as anyone. That is why this thread was created to seek everyone's input. I cannot promise any or all suggestions will be implemented but I can promise that all will be given very serious consideration.
1) The new Mercenaries will take up 5 follower slots instead of 3. That alone will mandate that only one Mercenary can be used at any one time.
2) The new Mercenaries with 'no' equipment and 'no' weapons added will do the same basic damage as a naked player. Adding good equipment/weapons will have a similar affect as it would adding these items to a player. In spite of that the new Mercenaries will have more Hit Points than any player.
3) The maximum Dexterity possible on a new Mercenary (after adding special jewelry) will be 110. That should solve the 'insta' heal problem.
4) Players will need at least 100 Anatomy Skill to use a new Mercenary. This is not a major impairment for a warrior but it is a skill point investment. Some players will think this is not enough and I do not disagree. Bear in mind I would like the new Mercenaries to be primarily available to warriors and mage/necros. At the same time I do not want to force template reworks on players using those classes of character.
5) Special Follower Slot Potions will become available through warrior quests so warriors wanting to use the new Mercenaries will also be able to mount most (but maybe not all) steeds. These special Follower Slot Potions will not be usable by Tamers. Tamers get Pet Slot Potions through the Taming quests.
Implementation - the challenge:
1) The changes will not go live on the Server until at least next weekend (probably longer) to allow player input and resulting script tweaks.
2) Players who have old Mercenaries will be asked to trade them in to me in exchange for new Mercenaries. I advise everyone to remove all equipment/weapons/jewelry before the exchange. I will be making note of each account that completes this exchange.
3) When the script changes go live on the Server they will have zero impact on the old/existing Mercenaries. As a result the old Mercenaries will have to be wiped from the Server at some point in time. I hope to do this sooner than later but will give reasonable time so players can log in to complete the exchanges. I suggest three weeks after the scripts go live which will still make some infrequent players with old Mercenaries unhappy. I will try to deal with their losses on an individual basis.
4) The new Mercenaries I give out will be at full stage development and at full skill development.
5) In addition, I will offer a bonus gift to any account exchanging a Mercenary owned by that account. The bonus gift will be 'one time per account'. The bonus gift will be a choice of any one of the following:
- 10,000 Tradium coins
- One special storage container (like wood, ingots, tools etc.) of player's choice
- Two spell crafting jewels of player's choice
- One 115 power scroll of player's choice
- 1,000 power scroll tokens (equal to one 120 random PS)
- Five +1 skill balls
- One stat ball
- Pet slot increased by 1 to a maximum of 8
- One ID wand with 1000 uses
- One blessed pouch to safely store 10 items
- Blessing of one Item
- Renaming of 1 item
- One race change token
I am deeply sorry this has become necessary. I am at fault for the lack of long term vision regarding the Mercenary set up and its impact. I am implementing changes because I am convinced the short term pain will be good for the long term benefit to the Shard.
As always . . I appreciate your understanding, patience and cooperation. I am open to all ideas and constructive input.